Contact Me

emmy [AT] curious-notions {dot} net
January 2023
« Aug    


Because yesterday still feels incredibly unreal to me, I’m going to record it all. Bear compares yesterday to our wedding. I think he might not be too far off. I still regret not actually writing down every moment that I remember of that day, so I’m not going to make the same mistake this time.

7:00 am

I hit the snooze twice because Bear had fallen asleep at 4am only after I beat the hell out of his back and legs and pulled his hands until the joints popped to work out the worst of the anxiety. I’d only been asleep for 2 hours. We dragged out asses out of bed at 7:30, hit the bathroom, and put the two bags of stuff, blankets, and vacuum into the car.


We ran back inside for the 5th time to grab our phones and were at the house by 8:30am. Which meant that we wandered around the backyard for 45 minutes, with breaks in the car to warm up. It wasn’t as frigid as it has been, but it was still pretty cold outside. (I’d guess about 25 degrees. Bear, if you read this, comment and correct me if I’m wrong.) I also sent a million texts to people freaking out. I was physically sick with anxiety. Bear had gotten hit with the worst of it the night before and was more running on pure excitement.


We were warming up in the car when our real estate agent pulled up at 9:14am. We walked into the house. It was the only time we’ve seen it empty. It looked larger and the floors and walls were (and still are) dirty. We turned on the water, checked the boiler, check the stove, the lights (we have bunches of blown bulbs and empty sockets that we need to buy bulbs for), checked pipes and walls. There are stickers left on a window and walls and measurements on walls from the two little kids who used to live there. It’s actually kind of sad seeing that stuff. At 9:30 the seller’s agent showed up to pull up the SOLD sign and turn over his key. We asked about the seller’s keys and garage door opener and were told to ask the lawyer. We left for our lawyer’s office at 9:40. I got us lost despite knowing where we were going and we got to the lawyer’s office at 9:56am


The lawyer’s conference room already had our mortgage officer and two lawyers in it when we arrived. We were asked if we wanted water, soda or anything and then got down to business. We were given pens and explanations of papers as they got passed to us for our signatures and initials. I found out later, but we got passed 102 pages in the next 40 odd minutes. The seller’s lawyer showed up and our real estate agent showed up at some point as well.

We discussed adjustment to our taxes (since the town’s old assessment was 100k over what we bought the house for) and found out that the new assessment was already very close to what we had actually bought the house for. We signed 5 copies of the HUD that aren’t counted in that 102 pages. Bear was signing stuff first, often faster than I could read and sign. I think he got into serious business mode. I realized that I need to get better at having a consistent signature. We also found out that the seller’s lawyer didn’t have either the keys or the garage door opener, so the lawyer made arrangements with the seller for her to bring us the keys.

We were all done at 10:43am and discovered that the reason our real estate agent was late to the closing was that she’d gotten us presents. A gift card to Target that was the same amount as the street number for the new house and a bottle of wine. We now have 3 bottles of wine sitting around because we don’t drink.


We’d just gotten to the house when the seller showed up. She gave us the keys and told us that she hoped we’d be happy and that it was a great neighborhood. While she was talking to us she got teary and then started crying. Her husband and her just divorced. Bear and I are pretty sure this isn’t what she wanted. Her best friends live across the street from us. It was sad. Bear had a hard time letting her leave so upset, but there’s nothing we could do. We went back inside to do a more detailed inspection and the moved the stuff we had brought into the house. We also figured out that our garage door won’t go down unless you physically hold the inside button, I have trouble with our driveway (first set of scratches on the new car as proof), we might need a plumber to come take a look at some plumbing, and we already have a water line where the fridge goes.


We got on the road at 12:15 to get the dining room table that we’d made arrangements to buy on craigslist. We first hit the uhaul place, got a van, drove out to get the table. It took longer than I expected to get the uhaul van and we didn’t get back on the road until almost 1pm. Also, driving a huge cargo van is kinda scary.


We got to the apartment at 1:15pm. The guy that sold us the table is incredibly sweet. He gave us his coffee table and linens and some crystal stuff as well. He’s moving out of state and wanted to not have to deal with any of it. We didn’t have any more cash to give him so Bear made arrangements to see if we could help him out a little more. When we’d loaded the last of the stuff into the van we were thanking him again (not just for the stuff, his friend and he helped us move all of the furniture down the two floors and into the van) and wishing him good luck and he started crying as well. Bear and I were exhausted and emotionally drained at this point.

2:00pm – 3:59pm

We got to our apartment at 2:08. We live next to a middle school and the parents start lining up at 2:15-2:20, so we had cars pulling up behind the van. We left the doors open as we pulled out all of the stuff to prevent cars from pulling up too close. We unloaded the entire van, stacked and arranged stuff in our apartment to fit it all, and tidied up a little bit. We then drove the van back and got our car and headed back to the house.


We took some pictures of the empty house and wandered around in a daze a bit more and then realized we were actually kind of starving. We went to a deli that we’d been recommended and got sandwiches and water. Bear and I took our stuff back to the house and ate on the kitchen counter sitting on folding chairs that we’d brought from our apartment.


We needed cleaning supplies and Bear refuses to take stuff like mops and brooms from one place to another so we headed out to Lowes. We were super loopy and tired so it took us over an hour to pick out a mop, broom, dust pan, sponges, cleaning stuff for hardwood floors, counter tops, cabinets, etc. We also picked out a red amaryllis that was blooming to give the empty house some color.

6:00pm – 7:59pm

We got back to the house. Bear stuffed the tiny uninsulated cat door with paper towels and plastic bags. I stuck Clorox tablets in the toilets and plugged in the air freshener. We put out the new floor mat outside the house and figured out a few more of the light switches. We have three that don’t seem to do anything. We also changed the batteries on the thermostats that were in the house. The house was 68 degrees and I was shivering. Bear could barely walk in a straight line. We felt like it was 2am in the morning. We looked around and looked at the supplies lying on the floor and made the executive decision to go back to our apartment and sleep. We lowered the temperature and left.

The plan was that we’d take a nap and wake up and pack some more at our apartment then go back to sleep. We left for the apartment at 7:30. We were completely loopy on the drive home and Bear talked (nonsense because he was so tired) to me so that I wouldn’t start drifting off and kill us.


By 8:30 Bear and I had taken care of emails that had accumulated during the day and passed out hard before 9pm. I think we’d logged at least 15 long phone calls to mothers and aunts and sellers and agents in addition to all the crap we took care of.

We woke up at 8am this morning. The plan is to actually clean tonight after work. Best laid plans and all that. At least I’ve actually gotten the utilities set up already.

  • linda

    who cried? the guy who sold the coffee table, etc?

  • emmy

    guy who sold his dining room table and gave away his coffee table and the lady who sold her house. it’s always sad when you realize your life isn’t going to go the way you thought it would. i’m not sure that’s always bad, but it does always hurt.