Contact Me

emmy [AT] curious-notions {dot} net
October 2019
S M T W T F S
« Aug    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

Handmade Scarf for BDF

BDF Scarf, folded

BDF Scarf, hanging

Sock heel tips

So I’ve had trouble remembering how I like to make sock heels. I always knit toe up and I like gussets and I like to have the cushion bit at the back of my ankle. So here’s my rewritten instructions (for magic loop, which is my favorite method).

n = total number of sts after the toe DIVIDED by 4
X = ((n-1)*3)/4

Gusset:
Knit in pattern across side 1
On side 2, k1, m1l, knit until 1 st left, m1r, k1
Alternate the above increase round with plain rounds until you have increased an appropriate number of sts for gusset (for my crayon socks, that number was 17, which meant a total of 34 rows.)

Turn Heel:
Knit in pattern around until halfway through side 2 of sock.
kX sts past halfway marker, m1l, k1, w&t
p(2X+2), m1p, p1, w&t
Do this until you have (n-1)/4 wraps each side.
Knit one complete round, picking up wraps and knitting them with the wrapped stitches as you come to them. This should bring you back around to the middle of side 2.

Heel Flap:
Slip the first stitch purlwise with the yarn in back, knit the next stitch until n – 1 stitches from center, ssk & turn work without wrapping
sl1, purl to end of needle 4, purl n – 1 stitches on needle 3, p2tog & turn without wrapping.
Repeat these two rows, always slipping the first stitch after you turn your work and decreasing at the end with p2tog or ssk, until all gusset increases, minus 1, are decreased.

Play among the stars

So our Sunday ended up being fun. I woke up at 8am and discovered Bear had been tinkering in the basement.

 

Bear has been DYING for an amplifier for these speakers he picked up from a hoarder’s house. Apparently on Saturday night he got impatient and decided to try making his own.

We had the roofer come by at 10 (he showed up at 9:40 before I had a chance to wake Bear up). We then signed paperwork and gave him a pretty hefty check. We’ll get shingles and a dumpthingy on the 26th. We’ll get a new roof, new gutters, and ventilation for the roof on the 27th.

Once he left, I started cooking. Mr and possibly Mrs Cranberry were coming over.

The recipe for this meal is from Smitten Kitchen. It’s fantastic. I would have preferred the barley instead of pearl cous cous, but Bear would only eat it if I made the substitution.

Bear’s friend Mr Cranberry showed up, sans Mrs Cranberry. I gather she’s busy trying to finish up her PhD. Bear and Mr Cranberry played video games and chatted and watched youtube and anime snippets for hours. Just before Mr Cranberry left, I baked cookies.

It was a pretty fantastic weekend.

This coming weekend we are headed over to a friends for a “meat extravaganza”. Considering one of the hosts is a pescetarian, it might be a little interesting. Of course we are going though, Bear is excited. Not surprisingly the invite went out from the pescetarian (we know her better), but it was titled as her husband’s and her husband’s bff’s meat extravaganza. I’ve now said and typed meat extravaganza so many times this week that the term has lost any meaning it might initially had.

We’ll see how long Bear and I last.

apple of my eye

So this Christmas break my aunt asked for fingerless gloves that converted into mittens. If you haven’t seen how these work:

There’s a mitten top flap that you pull over your fingers and underneath it looks like a fingerless mitten.

They (my aunt, Superwoman, and her oldest daughter, Pippi) really liked the look of my handspun. The gradient and random color changes appealed to them more than the colorwork mittens I’ve been doing. So I told them I would make them fingerless mittens and convertible mittens out of handspun. So on Sunday and yesterday, I did this:

So my problem comes in with the ball on the left. The weight of that ball is about 30 grams. The weight of the mitten is about 60 grams. This means that when I finish the thumb I’ll probably have about a 65 gram mitten and the ball will be about 25 grams. There’s no way I can make a second mitten out of 25 grams of yarn. Sadly I’m not that crazy. I’m not sure WHY I kept knitting when I realized this problem was coming. I KNEW it, but I kept going.

I’m super bummed because I think these mittens are gorgeous.

I think I even handled attaching the flap part pretty well. That the colors match close enough that it looks pretty open and closed from the front and the back.

So I’m stuck. I could reknit these as just fingerless mittens. I MIGHT be able to eek plain mittens out of the yarn I’ve got, especially if I went up a needle size. I could totally drop the idea of using this yarn for mittens and make a hat (I’ve never made myself a hat). But I don’t think I’ve GOT enough handspun in fun colors to make Superwoman her convertible mittens. So MAYBE what I could do is take some commercial yarn and knit the ribbed parts with commercial yarn and do the rest out of my handspun. I might have enough yarn if I do that… I’m just not sure.

But one thing is for sure, I won’t be getting convertible mittens out of this yarn. If I WANT to make convertible mittens completely from handspun I’m going to have to spin the yarn from scratch. So I guess the real problem here is that I won’t have mittens for her in a week unless I make plain mittens or do them out of commercial yarn.